Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Tiger Mother

The new book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother has created a lot of controversy.  I haven't read the book but I've read a few of the reviews against it.  I came across a Christian perspective today and it resonated with me.  Here's the link.

God has entrusted our kids to us and they are not our own.  I have to let go of defining success as excelling at multiple extra-curricular activities including music, sports, and a second/third language; getting good grades at school and ultimately completing university; getting a good job; getting married and having children.  I need to constantly remind myself that I just need to be a good role model and teach and encourage my kids to follow God's will for their lives.  Success is when God says, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually glad Amy Chua put out her memoir to get us thinking about our goals for parenting. I like the article -- thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete